If you land a hand and realize it's just a baby's, or it's not in season, here are tips for throwing it back:
1. Don't wear it out by playing with it too much before you land it.
2. Leave it in the water and never touch it with dry hands.
3. Gently remove the hook so as to prevent crushing.
4. Cut the line if the hook won't come out.
5. Don't actually throw it back, as that may cause harm or even kill it. If it is in shock from being caught, gently move it back and forth in the water to help the fingers to spread.
Our illustration is from Lustige Blätter, 1908.